When we were kids mum used to say, ‘There’s no such thing as being bored. Use your imagination. Why don’t you make something?’ And so we did… and I’ve been a maker and a ‘crafter’ ever since.
Crafty Kids Club is a Sydney-based kids craft workshop, events and (soon to be) craft kits business, lead by me – Gemma Garratt, to do what I love, teaching children to get off their screens and use their imaginations and create things with their own hands.
When I became an aunty 18 years ago, I began teaching my nieces and nephews how to get crafty. I’ve organised many memorable craft birthday parties for them and their friends.
Since 2010 I started this business and I have honed my designing workshops and teaching skills with children aged 5-15 years at:
- too many to count craft parties
- Sydney Childrens’ Hospital, Randwick as an arts educator
- Artspark Studio, in Rozelle. After school workshops and weekend parties.
- after school and holiday craft programs in the library at Glenmore Road Public School, Paddington
- The Cottage , after school care in Paddington
- And now I’ve started this business, crafty kids club,
As well as teaching these classes, you name the craft or sewing course and I’ve probably done it! Latest class was macrame which I am going to convert into a children’s class.
- Tertiary level textiles & design
- KnitWit – Stretch fabric sewing
- SewFit – Pattern making
- Sewing Emporium – Overlocking
- Sydney Community College – Screen-printing, fabric dyeing, acrylic painting
- Collage of Fine Arts – Shibori dyeing and felt-making
- International School of Colour & Design, North Sydney – Surface Design
- Tania Wursig painting school
- Billy Blue Design School – Art classes
- Fashion Institute of Technology, New York, USA – Screen-printing
- Harlem Textile Works, New York, USA – Screen-printing
- Textile Arts Centre, New York, USA – Weaving and shibori dyeing
- ETSY workshops, New York, USA – Drawing, card & bag making