When we were kids my mum used to say, ‘There’s no such thing as being bored. Use your imagination. Why don’t you make something?’ And so we did… and I’ve been crafty ever since.
crafty kids club is a Sydney-based kids craft school, creatively lead by me… Gemma Garratt.
When I became an aunty 14 years ago, I began teaching my nieces and nephews how to get crafty. I’ve organised many memorable craft birthday parties for them and their friends – ‘Rock Star Red Carpet Party’ being one of the most memorable.
From 2010 – 2013, I honed my teaching skills with children aged 5-15 years at Artspark Studio, in Rozelle. I taught some of the after school workshops and weekend parties. And now I’ve started this business, crafty kids club, to do what I love – teaching craft and sewing to children.
As well as being a sewing teacher at Artspark, you name the craft or sewing course and I’ve probably done it.
- Tertiary level textiles & design
- KnitWit – Stretch fabric sewing
- SewFit – Pattern making
- Sewing Emporium – Overlocking
- Ro Cook at Sydney Community College – Screen-printing
- Collage of Fine Arts – Shibori dyeing and felt-making
- International School of Colour & Design – Surface Design
- Mosman Adult Education Centre – Decoupage
- Billy Blue Design School – Art classes
- Koskela – Knitting
- Fashion Institute of Technology & Harlem Textile Works, New York, USA – Screen-printing
- Textile Arts Centre, New York, USA – Weaving and shibori dyeing
- ETSY workshops, New York, USA – Drawing, card & bag making